The Church of the Resurrection was founded in 1957 as a mission church in the Lake Hills neighborhood of Bellevue by St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Medina.
In the early years, the congregation met in a school gym. In 1959, land was purchased and the church was built in the 152nd block of Main Street. The first Eucharist was celebrated on Christmas Eve of 1962.
In 1965, St. James was constructed. This is the education building containing offices, classrooms, and the Elizabeth Pace Smith Memorial Library.
In November 1978, Resurrection officially attained parish status. Three years later the mortgage was burned with much celebration.
Church of the Resurrection responded to the need in the community for affordable housing for low income seniors. In 1996, Cambridge Court was built on the church grounds with funding from Washington State and the city of Bellevue. It consists of 20 housing units. To qualify for residency all members of the household must be 55 years of age or older. They must be capable of independent living and their household income must be less than 50% of the King county median income.
Cambridge Court also contains the Cabana that is used by various ministry groups for meetings, AA groups and social activities. The property is owned and operated by the Resurrection Housing Foundation, a non-profit organization.
The church also shares space with with two other congregations, Hosanna Asamblea de Dios, a Spanish-speaking congregation, and Holy Apostles, a Chinese Episcopal congregation. Space is also provided for a co-op preschool five days a week.
Since 1989, The Episcopal Church of the Resurrection, Cross of Christ Lutheran Church and St. Louise Roman Catholic Church have worked together toward Christian unity and mutual respect. Together, they signed a "covenant agreement" now known as the Lake Hills Interfaith Covenant. The churches regularly worship and pray together (Palm Sunday, Thanksgiving Eve), host a vacation bible school and other joint events. More recently, Holy Apostles Episcopal Church and Temple B'Nai Torah have also joined the Lake Hills Interfaith Covenant.
In 2009, Church of the Resurrection celebrated its 50th anniversary.